[globalsouthdata] Our participation at the GDC deep-dive on Data Protection - April 24th

Mikael Servilha mikael.servilha at dataprivacybr.org
Wed Apr 26 16:01:45 -03 2023

Dear all,

I hope all is alright

Just passing by to share with you Data Privacy Brasil’s oral statement to
the Global Digital Compact deep-dive consultation on Data Protection
(attached). We also prepared a short blog post about this topic, you can
check it out here
<https://www.dataprivacybr.org/en/data-privacy-brasil-contributes-to-the-thematic-deep-dive-in-data-protection-global-digital-compact/>
.

In general lines, our presentation mentioned the work conducted by the Southern
Alliance for the Global Digital Compact
<https://www.un.org/techenvoy/sites/www.un.org.techenvoy/files/GDC-submission_Southern_Alliance.pdf>
and focused on capacity building for data protection authorities,
precautionary approaches, and new methodologies for data-driven harms,
moving beyond the existing principles in data protection law.

I also would like to remind you that the Global Digital Compact's deep-dive
sessions are still ongoing until June 14th. The next one is on May 8th,
focusing on Human Rights Online. You can check the schedule and register
here
<https://www.un.org/techenvoy/global-digital-compact/intergovernmental-process>,
even to contribute orally (it's open participation).

The participation of Global South´s civil society is crucial, in this
entire UN process.

*There are still more five deep-dive sessions ahead for us to strategically
participate!*

We are excited to exchange ideas about it, so please don't hesitate to
contact us to discuss this agenda.

Mikael and Data Privacy Brasil Team

--
Atenciosamente,